Saturday, February 02, 2008

Linux is tough!


Linux is all about reading and practicing!

Get a degree in Computer Science!

Use Linux - and hate it - because you are used to some type of a GUI environment.

Step 1. Read an article about a home file server.
Step2. Spend a weekend doing what the web site said was a 45 minute job.
Step3. Buy lots of books. Read what you can.
Step4. Spend lots of time making small - very small progress steps.
Step 5. Install NAS storage device.
Step 6. Try and write a simple backup script. Not an easy thing.
Step 7. Take more baby steps.
Step 8. Test, regroup, and test.
Step 9. Make some progress. Rejoice! Win some small battles!

I have a Linux server running right now. It is not secure. I will work on that. I have an automated back-up script running. I will soon get my tar balls written to a NAS. I will experiment with crontab. I should have the results tomorrow. I will soon start working on better routines. The learning never stops. I have so much to learn. I feel as if I have climbed a mountain. But from my view on top of this mountain - all I see is higher mountains!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home